Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Artist Profile: Summer Brights Contest Winner - Katherine Vargas Zárate

Summer Elements by Katherine Vargas Zárate

We are very pleased to share the international winner of our "Summer Brights" contest, Katherine Vargas Zárate. Katherine's Summer Elements necklace features bright and colorful wire wrapping with Czech crystal accents.


We asked Katherine to tell us a little bit more about herself and her work so that we could share it with our readers.


Tell us about yourself:

Being the daughter of a realist painter, art in various forms always was part of my life. Arts and crafts always had naturally been a great part of our family, so it was not unusual for me to make a living in the artistic medium of jewelry. I am happily married to my ultimate fan, and my husband and I worked very hard to get the project called Sófika Accessorios into business.

How did you get interested in beading/jewelry making?

Out of necessity. We have three girls and one has special needs, so I had to quit work outside the home to care for her personally. We needed extra income, so after trying several types of crafts, I came to the jewelry and loved it, went from being a job to a passion ... again found a love of my life. I've learned entirely from observation but I feel that over the months I have mastered it quite well.

What are your favorite materials to use in jewelry making?

I love working with artistic wire and aluminum, the art of wrapping is my favorite. Although I like the fine crystals and semi-precious stones, I prefer to create unique pieces in resin.

Who or what inspires your creative process?

The material itself - I love to see a box with new materials, the box brings not only new materials, but with them hundreds of new ideas and designs

Is there somewhere people can see/purchase your work?

My online store is on Facebook at www.facebook.com/SofikaAccesorios

Currently, my work is shown only online or by exhibitions here in Costa Rica.

Congratulations again Katherine, and thank you for sharing you work with us. We wish you all the best in your future creative pursuits.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Visit Beadaholique

Current Sale at beadaholique

Bookmark and Share